8 celebrities that see an eye doctor or surgeon due to eye conditions
Eye conditions can affect a lot of people, from nearsightedness and farsightedness to eye diseases like glaucoma. And, of course, celebrities aren’t excluded when it comes to seeing an eye doctor. There are several celebrities who are recorded as having eye conditions and required an eye doctor to help them find the best treatment.
Here are a few of the celebrities who relied on an eye doctor or surgeon to help them with their eye condition:
- John Glenn: This famous astronaut was the first American to orbit the Earth. He is also the oldest man to fly in space. In addition to those amazing experiences, Glenn also has experienced glaucoma. Luckily, an eye doctor was able to catch it early on so he could keep his vision. During 2002, he “urged Americans to learn the risk factors of glaucoma and get tested.”
- Apl.de.ap (Alan Pineda Lindo, Jr.): This rapper is most notably recognized as being a part of the Black Eyed Peas. What may not be known about him is that he was born with an eye condition called nystagmus. This condition can make it “feel like your eyes have a mind of their own.” Apl.de.ap was considered legally blind in both eyes, but he later had artificial lenses put in to help with his vision.
- John Goodman: This well-known actor took some time away from the spotlight in 2013. He mentioned wanting to care for his health, which included him undergoing cataract surgery.
- Bono: This rock star has been living with glaucoma for at least 20 years now, which is why you always see him with sunglasses. Eye doctors will recommend sunglasses outdoors because glaucoma can make the eyes much more sensitive. Bono is receiving ongoing treatment for his eye condition.
- Larry King: In 2009, this famous talk show host had cataract surgery.
- Theodore Roosevelt: Roosevelt had myopia (nearsightedness). This is a condition where someone can see up close, but things further away can appear blurry. He wore glasses to allow him to see clearly. Unfortunately, he later “lost vision in his left eye because of a cataract and possibly because of retinal detachment resulting from a boxing match.”
- Mila Kunis: This actress let the cat out of the bag in 2011, when she announced that she had been blind in one eye for years. But, she had surgery to give her a new lens so she could see again.
- Tiger Woods: This golfer decided to get LASIK surgery because he was very nearsighted.
These are just some of the famous people who have lived with or are currently living with eye conditions. Johnny Depp is another one who has said that he has very poor vision.Then of course, there are those like Helen Keller and Sammy Davis Jr. who were well known as being blind.
When should you see an eye doctor to treat or prevent eye conditions?
While there are some eye conditions that cannot be cured, there are many that can be treated or corrected. The best thing you can do for your eyes is to see an eye doctor regularly. Eye doctors can keep a record of your eye health through comprehensive exams. They can catch issues early on and offer the most effective treatment or corrective options.
Being proactive can help you slow down the progression of certain conditions, like glaucoma, to prevent further vision loss. Cataracts can also be caught earlier, before any loss of vision occurs. There are a number of ways eye doctors can help treat and take preventative measures to promote healthier eyes and clearer vision. If you’re looking for an eye doctor in Draper Utah, contact us at Cataract & LASIK Center of Utah.